Beyond these national symbols, other flowers have more subtle meanings. Red Chinese Roses For funerals, white and yellow chrysanthemums are the most appropriate choice for the family, making sure nothing in the arrangement is red. The chrysanthemum is a symbol of good quality, refinement, and longevity; it is quite well-known as one the “Four Gentlemen” in traditional Chinese culture. Thanks for stopping by. She has vast experience in educating her students on how to listen to and speak Chinese, and is trained to teach HSK courses. A few branches of peach flowers (see above) in a decorative vase are a wonderful way to honor your friend’s mom and a life well lived. The custom is for the grooms parents to buy 'grand gifts' for the bride's family to formally accept the marriage. Pomegranate Flowers Hi Kay, as long as you avoid chrysanthemums, which are for funerals, color is probably your next most important variable. Would that be okay? Do - Mark your calendars. this is fine just different than what i’m used to with most people telling me the occasion and the color and the budget and then i make it for them. 康乃馨(Kānɡnǎixīn) Carnations: thankfulness for a mother’s everlasting love; 百合花(Bǎihé huā) Lily: symbolizes high quality and elegance; 萱草(Xuān cǎo) Hemerocallis fulva: it means a wish that all troubles will go away. From this list, a lotus flower is a good bet. The Number Really Matters. China is the land of thousands of years of wisdom. Don’t be surprised if your gift is immediately reciprocated with a gift of equal value as this is the way Chinese people say thank you . Flower Color Meanings . our editorial process. In the language of flowers, they mean goodbye. the other thing i have noticed is the students seem to want to pick out the exact flowers and colors themselves wanting to come in the fridge to pick it out . We discovered that simple cultural differences in giving flowers can make all the difference. When sending flowers as a gift for the family, be sure to avoid the colors red and white; in Chinese culture, the color white is associated with death, sadness and poverty, while red is a signifier of joy and happiness. Hi Pat, sounds like a nice request during a difficult time. Then receive family-friendly activity, recipe and craft ideas throughout the year! Gift giving in China is different from the West in that physical gifts are not usually given for birthdays, weddings or Spring Festival. I’ve only given flowers a handful of times in my entire life. My friend lost her mother a couple of months ago & I’d like to send her something as a respectful acknowledgment of her loss & to let her know I am thinking of her. I hope that today’s article has taught you a little bit about the social act of giving flowers to in Chinese society. Close friends might give $75 or $85, or even $100. Thanks in advance for your response! Make sure the florist understands not to use any red flowers, a red vase or any red decorations in the arrangement. Plum flowers are fragrant and beautiful. From what I’ve read so far, red could seem to be an appropriate color. Orchids are thought to posses a certain noble quality (Confucius likened them to a virtuous gentleman), making them a perfect choice to gift to a venerable old man. Any suggestions? Gifts are customary at Chinese New Year, weddings, and births. No green hats. It represents the value of endurance, as Chinese people are always indomitable and constantly... 2. by: Wong Yee Lee. China is a culture of flowers. Flowers such as the sakura and chrysanthemum are national symbols of Japan. Giving someone a clock or a watch as a present is traditionally a taboo in Chinese culture due to “giving a clock” and “attending a person’s funeral” having the same pronunciation, regardless of the different written characters. Peonies are often thought of as the national flower of China because they’re so popular, … – White flowers and yellow chrysanthemums are only used at funerals. This Chinese proverb for example expresses how a person feels glad when you see someone happy because of something they did, like giving them flowers. 剑兰Gladiolus (Jiànlán):This orchid means “of noble quality”, but it is a homophone for “艰难”(hardship, jiānnán), and “见难”(to see you hard, jiàn nán) in some dialects, so some people may not like this flower as much because of this. How close you are? The Chinese culture is rich with flower symbolism that permeates both cultural practices and artistic expression. Hi Lee, it’s kind of you to be thinking of your friend’s family during this difficult time. ~Wes. In my country, we have national Teachers day in several days. 99rmb, 999rmb as nine symbolises 'forever'. In Britain, it’s white lilies and in Hungary, roses, lilies and chrysanthemums. Throughout human history, flowers have played a significant role as gestures and gifts. I’d go with that. This applies to funeral flowers as well. Instead, a more typical gift for an elderly or ill person would be something “nourishing” for the body or soul. Overlooking the underlying meaning of the flower can sent the wrong message. Always give gifts to the most senior person first. Anniversary roses, Easter lilies, spring daffodils. It symbolizes the holy seat of Buddha. … Wonderful, Sue. Yellow chrysanthemums are also a traditional funeral flower. Peonies are considered the very living symbol of nobility, a flower associated with wealth and honor, feminine beauty, innocence and charm. Because flowers have meaning, choosing the right flower for the occasion is important. ~Wes, Hello, please could you help with the choice, I have a Chinese girlfriend, we started dating about 4 months ago but we like each other very much. From a symbolic standpoint, a lotus might be your best choice for its association with pure hearts and auspicious events, good sentiments for a new venture. One reason for this is “1” means “single” and it is shaped like a long single stick, so that day is entitled “Singles Day”. Friends spray colorful flowers. She studied Mandarin Chinese in Beijing and Taipei and has written for Newsweek International, Elle Girl, and the Chicago Tribune. Popular Flowers And Their Meanings They’re beautiful, elegant and pure. There may also be a wider variety of colourful and rare blooming beauties everywhere. According to the legend, a rose grew from the blood of a dragon killed by Sant Jordi (Saint George). Thank you. They all symbolize various flavors of bad luck, death and separation. They were once the national flower. i noticed spring festival/ new years was huge but i think i had yellow mums with red roses no wonder they didn’t sell well . By signing up for the Chinese American Family newsletter. Hi Wes, Available under a Creative Commons License . Hi Nina, thanks for your question and sorry to hear about your friend’s illness. During this period, people always like bright-colored things, as they believe this will bring good luck and grant strong wishes. This is because the Chinese word for 'pears' (梨 lí /lee/) sounds the same as the word for leaving or 'parting' (离 lí). Before buying a present for a Chinese person, you should consider a few things. I wouldn’t recommend taking flowers as a gift — traditionally, “cut” items like bouquets symbolize the end of a relationship and contemporary notions of flower giving can be misinterpreted in more conservative cultural settings. ~Wes, 你好. Hello, I developed a wonderful bond with my kids crossing guard who happens to be a Chinese woman. She is very shy and I think a gesture is better than words in this case. … Good luck! In 1903, the Qing (pronounced Ching) dynasty, declared the Peony as China’s national flower. Roses are acceptable but only in white. Qin Xie Thursday 15 Feb 2018 2:00 pm. Its traditional art and customs are infused with symbols and habits that pertain to flowers. Send white chrysanthemums to the family of the deceased and a mixture of white and yellow chrysanthemums, if the arrangement is to accompany the casket. Open the white envelope that the family may have distributed. Giving fruit is a good thing, but pears are taboo. Your email address will not be published. If flowers, then a live flower, not cut flowers (anything cut symbolizes the end of something). “Suitopi” is a transliteration of the flower’s English name. Stick with simple, sincere tokens of gratitude like handmade cards, flowers or fruit. The answer lies in the Chinese language. The number 8 is considered very auspicious in Chinese culture because it sounds similar to ‘prosperity’ and ‘fortune.’ In general, giving an even number of items is more favorable than an odd number, however, the number 9 is an exception, as it sounds close to the word for ‘long-lasting.’ someone explained to me that pink carnations are for women who have had a baby as a congratulations on being a mom. In Brazil, it makes a great gift at dinner parties so the Take the potted plant. The translation of the word ikebana can be defined as ‘giving life to flowers’, a beautiful way to describe flower arranging. The flower is also a … In Britain, it’s white lilies and in Hungary, roses, lilies and chrysanthemums. 20 Famous and wise Chinese proverbs ( 谚语 yanyu), sayings and quotes: Chinese, pinyin, English translation and Standing still - Jewel (lyrics) ... 4 A bit of fragrance clings to the hand that gives flowers. On the day of the funeral, all the guests are expected to give money in white envelopes (white is the color of mourning in Chinese culture) to the family members of the deceased. Although it is not a tradition, the monetary gift you give the bride and groom can help pay for their wedding expenses. Never give a clock as a gift. My best friend’s dad passed away 3 days ago and today should have been the 50th wedding anniversary of his parents. Ikebana – The Arrangement of Flowers. 梅花Plum blossom (Méihuā):This symbolizes elegance and nobility, but can cause an association with “走霉运”(unlucky, zǒu méiyùn), so to some degree, it’s not suitable to be given to businessmen. The symbolism of flowers in Chinese art is very rich, so each flower has its own entry in this survey of symbols. Our university has Confucius Institue which give us chance to learn Chinese. China possesses an ancient culture steeped in Confucianism— based largely on respect, relationships, and rituals—the purpose of which is maintaining harmony within one’s family, network of friends, colleagues, and society at large. Do Present and receive things with both hands. In Japan, flowers are a traditional gift for both men and women. Given that cut flowers typically symbolize the end of something, I’d probably steer clear. Should I just go with red roses? Keep these tips in mind as you're considering what you'll give: Do feel free to leave price tags and receipts in the bags if it's an expensive gift. In Japan, lilies, lotus blossoms and camellias are all funeral flowers, while Latvians give … Giving white roses to an online Chinese lady I will be meeting soon, would that be considered romantic or is that a no-no? Index - Birds - Animals - Flowers and Fruit- Colors - Nature - Assorted Home | Culture | Beliefs | Symbolism | Flowers and Fruit The symbolism of flowers and fruit in Chinese art 花 朵 huā duǒ Plate 87. Fine examples of exquisite workmanship can be found all over China. Thank you for your time and advice. It is an actual a common courtesy of the world. Avoid marigolds or carnations as they are associated with funerals. Giving somebody a sharp object insinuates that you want to cut off your relationship with them. My Chinese friend recently lost her young husband after a long cancer battle. Gift giving is a very important part of the Japanese culture and communicates respect, friendship and appreciation. What do you think about Lilies, but I can’t decide with quantity, thank you very much for help, Hi Anthony, thanks for your question! Cut Flowers - Presents for Funerals. Thank you for sharing some of your on-the-ground experience from your shop. The symbolism of flowers is quite ancient, and many historians have traced flower symbolism through art, poetry, and music. An article about Chinese gift giving wouldn’t be complete without mentioning green hats. Learning proper social manners so that one does the right thing at the right time is not only a reflection of elegance and knowledge, but also of courtesy and respect for others. Could you please help. My doctor (Veterans Hospital) is from China and she recently went above and beyond to push for a test that will likely save my life. Red is a particularly lucky and favorite color in much of China, and it is very appropriate for weddings. In fact, the flower was first grown in China, where it was cultivated from wild blossoms. In China and Asia, the symbolic meanings of flowers are often very important, and people must take care to give appropriate flowers as gifts or offerings in temple. For birthdays, celebrations and new business launches, red Chinese roses are the easiest choice, accented with perhaps golden rod and baby’s breath. In Brazil, this is black and purple. You're in, Marian! The word for fan in Chinese is related to the expression for splitting up. How to Host Chinese and Be a Guest in China. Lilys and chrysanthemums are good choices, particularly in white or yellow. A Chinese coworker just gave birth to a beautiful girl and a few of us would like to send her flowers. I was thinking of sending flowers to the factory to show my appreciation for the workers on my project. The wrong flowers could be considered very offensive. Influences from marketing and other cultures are now beginning to extend gift giving to birthdays. I know she does not have time to take care of a live plant. According to the Chinese gift-giving etiquette, gifts should be well-wrapped. This is the color for happiness and prosperity, which is clearly inappropriate for this occasion and which will cause great offense. Flowers wouldn’t really be traditional in this case — check out my suggestions for Chinese Baby Gifts. This is the biggest and greatest festival for Chinese people. 向日葵 (Xiànɡrìkuí) Sunflower: to show love and your respect to your mother. The most likely possibility is that it has just become a conventional rule: since it is used so often for the dead, especially in the Tomb Sweeping Festival, people have associated this flower for such usage. You should also avoid giving white flowers, because this color symbolizes tears, death, and mourning. There’s a section in the piece above with more detail. Only use red paper when giving a gift to a Chinese Thai. My son is taking a young Chinese-American girl to a dance and needs to buy her a nosegay. With a history of thousands of years, China's Etiquette has formed and been passed down generation by generation. In China, Japan and Korea, white chrysanthemums are symbolic of lamentation and grief. Usually, a flower arrangement is an acceptable gift, but never give菊花(jú huā, “chrysanthemums”) as they are traditionally used to mourn the death of someone at a funeral or are placed on graves. The Chinese expression ‘wearing a green hat’ means that someone’s wife is unfaithful. Pleas sign me up for your wonderful website so I can get all your amazing updates! To avoid any problems when giving florals in Chinese culture, follow these simple tips. When sending flowers as a gift for the family, be sure to avoid the colors red and white; in Chinese culture, the color white is associated with death, sadness and poverty, while red is a signifier of joy and happiness. Chicken soup from a good Chinese restaurant would be a good example. The etiquette of Gift-giving in China may be a little different from western countries. China possesses an ancient culture steeped in Confucianism— based largely on respect, relationships, and rituals—the purpose of which is maintaining harmony within one’s family, network of friends, colleagues, and society at large. White is a funeral color in China and represents death. Giving a clock or watch as a gift is the biggest no-no in Chinese culture. Insights into gift giving from The Golden Gift. Lilys and chrysanthemums are good choices, particularly in white or yellow. It also represents long life and honor. ~Wes. I want to give them a gift because of that. I have a work colleague who is leaving after a year working together. Even the name of Chinese people, hua ren, when spoken in a different tone could mean “flower people”. ~Wes. Also avoid giving fans. In China, the major gift-giving occasions are birthdays, the Spring Festival … Hope that helps! Would like to brighten up the boardroom. They're ingrained in Japanese thinking. Peony (牡丹). The same goes for flower gifts. Do you have any advice for sending flowers and getting the symbolism right? I’d like to send something to let her know we are so sad for her loss and are thinking of her … I don’t know what flowers to send if any … we can’t get peach branches or plum blossoms here … would a potted orchid be respectful? Then I am learning Chinese in there. What you will find below is a simple, failsafe guide to sending flowers for the most important Chinese occasions. However, chrysanthemums are given in memory of the dead (though not all kinds, but white ones are always used in this manner). But the gesture has to be clear. While giving bamboo or other living plants may be OK, choosing flowers is an intricate matter and should be left to the experts. The osmanthus blossoms in the 8th ... China's distinctive traditional architecture is one of her core cultural treasures. ~Wes. Thank you. Many thanks. Avoid all white and yellow flowers as they are used at funerals. For Chinese people, courtesy demands reciprocity, which means people who are well-mannered to others will receive kindness and favors. Don’t ever give clocks, shoes, cut flowers, handkerchiefs, umbrellas, towels or sharp objects like knives and scissors. Because the flower rises from the mud and blooms in exquisite beauty it symbolizes perfection and purity of both the heart and mind. White and Yellow Chrysanthemums The tradition of giving roses to loved ones goes back to the nineteenth century. She will be retiring at the end of this school year (June) and I would love to give her a bouquet of flowers as a retirement gift. Sharp objects such as knives or scissors are used for cutting, and thus symbolize the … So, what then would be appropriate… potted plants? ~Wes, Thanks so much I appreciate your advice . Send pomegranate flowers to newly-married friends to express good wishes for fertility and many sons. She has mastered the method and practice of teaching the structure, historical development, and relationships of languages as an academic subject, and has also done extensive research on Intercultural Communication and Sinology. Flowers are especially meaningful in Chinese culture, adding an additional layer of complexity as you’re standing in your local Chinatown florist. Never give a man a green hat. Hi Michael, white flowers are generally associated with funerals, so I might stick red, unless she’s explicitly asked for white. Open the white envelope that the family may have distributed. Focus on quality, pick something local, fall back on sweetness and don’t forget presentation. Osmanthus flowers give a fine fragrance which is given the same character as cassia. The answer lies in the Chinese language. But the sweet pea has shed this symbolism for the most part and become a popular bouquet flower sold from winter to spring. It is good to give old people chrysanthemum flowers because it means strong life. Hi Dawn, it’s a thoughtful idea. The History of Giving Flowers A single flower or a huge bouquet may express love, remembrance, apology, support or simply be a thoughtful gesture. She is starting her own school, what gift or flowers can I buy her? Any white-colored gift or white wrapping paper is a big taboo. They are often used to convey what can't be spoken. Do. Hi! How to Visit a Chinese Family (Properly) 10 Things Not to Do in China. Traditionally the Plum Blossom, also is one of the floral symbols of China. Thanks for your question, Ed. Though specific meanings and traditions may change, flowers remain a part of human connection. I'm glad that you found my little corner of the internet, Ms. Hung-Haas! Peach Flowers Since … Nothing red, which is only a color for happy occasions. The word for fan in Chinese is related to the expression for splitting up. Chances of finding peonies in the dead of the winter are slim. Generally, businesses and organizations give funeral flowers. Lauren Mack is a journalist who covers Chinese culture and history. In accordance with the Chinese culture, Lunar New Year is an auspicious festival, a period where the new replaces […] My son’s father in law just passed and he asked me to send a flower arrangement with Lakers colors (that was papa’s favorite team). Mary McMahon . ~Wes. Flowers, chocolates or fruits are appropriate gifts. There is no accurate and exact explanation for why chrysanthemums are used for the dead in Chinese culture. Do not expect the gift to be opened when received. Is your friend traditional? Various varieties and colors can convey drastically different messages, which creates a lot of pressure when you’re afraid of breaching strict cultural protocols. A common Chinese saying goes \"one slash and its in two parts\" to mean the end of a relationship between people. In Brazil, this is black and purple. Plum flowers blossom amidst frost and snow, giving them the long-admired qualities of firmness and solidity. I have a Chinese friend who is terminally ill and I want to take flowers to him. Peonies When visiting friends in China, it's common to present your host with a small gift. Most ancient paintings depict flowers of some kind, most often the plum blossom and tree peony. These gifts may be largely ceremonial or may include money, especially in 'nines', i.e. From this, the Victorian culture created a meaning for every characteristic of a flower. So glad the site could help you! While fresh cut flowers are appreciated, artificial flowers are also acceptable, particularly if you are traveling a long distance to attend the funeral. With that said, flowers are very special for many occasions in Chinese culture. In Japan, lilies, lotus blossoms and camellias are all funeral flowers, while Latvians give red roses. Pears - Parting. Gift giving used to be part of Chinese business protocol.Then, our research showed that for a period of time the sentiment shifted to viewing giving business gifts as a form bribery.. More recent evidence points toward a more relaxed attitude in giving an accepting business gifts in mainland China. The flowers mentioned above are just a fraction of what can be given in Chinese culture. Is there a flower other than lilies that would be appropriate for a 15 year old girl who is just a friend? I don’t want to send the wrong type and colours. Is your relationship formal or casual? People will return to their own families no matter how far they are or how busy they are. White is a funeral color in China and represents death. Cash – specifically those oversized pink 100 yuan notes – placed in a red envelope, or "hóng bāo (红包)" , are the most fitting for those occasions.Giving money for birthdays is reserved for children and senior citizens. The lucky bamboo (but in reality does not belong to the family of bamboo and is called called Dracaena sanderiana) is one of the most popular lucky plants with the Chinese, especially during the lunar new year period It is a symbol of good luck and prosperity and you can further enhance the plant by applying Feng Shui 5 elements in it.. Wood Element: The plant itself Sweet pea flowers are native to Italy and arrived in Japan at the turn of the 20th century. As a country with a millenary history, China boasts an ancient culture largely based on respect, relationships, and rituals which maintain and promote harmony within society.. Hi Steven, business etiquette is a whole different subject! This can be directly handed over to one of the family members (or put into a donation box, if there is one), either on the day of the funeral or one day before. Giving someone a clock or a watch as a present is traditionally a taboo in Chinese culture due to “giving a clock” and “attending a person’s funeral” having the same pronunciation, regardless of the different written characters. Finally, in Chinese culture, the Chrysanthemum flower is a symbol of the dead and is often referred to as one of the Four Gentlemen in Chinese culture, frequently used as a symbol in artworks. Peach flowers, symbolizing longevity, romance, prosperity and growth, would seem a good choice for a happy retirement. Such flowers have the power to invoke powerful emotions. I want to let her know I appreciate all her work for me and all the veterans she works so hard for. Should I send something red and potted? I even wondered about Spa voucher as it’s been a very stressful time for her — she’s a modern young woman and involved in the beauty marketing industry in China …, Hi Carol, putting cultural considerations aside for a moment, showing your care and concern for your friend are a wonderful place to start. Hi Chris, a few thoughts. ~Wes. Top 10 Flowers In Chinese Culture 1. The information was extremely helpful. Red and pink are always safe celebratory choices, though you may want to stop short of roses, which would send too strong a message for a friend. This is considered polite in Chinese culture. 4. https://www.chineseamericanfamily.com/how-to-send-flowers-the-chinese-way So, the flowers also reflect this belief. However, I don’t know what should I give them. Send white or yellow flowers. Orchids symbolize fertility and abundance in China. In 1995, UNESCO introduced World Book Day on the same date. Your email address will not be published. Hi! at graduation a lot of them wanted large thank you bouquets for professors which was nice except i didn’t realize how big he meant at first till he showed me some photos they are huge tall bouquets i wasn’t sure if flowers were much cheaper in china or if its just important to give your professor a much nicer gift culturally, I’m so glad the guide was helpful to you, Michelle. The Culture of Gift Giving. On the Chinese 50 cents coins you can see plum flowers on the side. Chinese culture has always placed great importance in flowers, which feature heavily in their proverbs, poetry, art and literature. Wrap Your Gift Properly. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The Chinese expression ‘wearing a green hat’ means that someone’s wife is unfaithful. ~Wes. Cecilia majored in teaching Chinese as a foreign language. Gifts and gift giving are steeped in cultural traditions, and as such, some gifts common in the West are taboo in China. Sounds like observing his love of the Lakers is the overriding consideration. In the mid-1700s, the significance increased when the French and English, while visiting Turkey, discovered an entire language of flowers which gave meaning to different flower types. Three is considered a lucky number. Never give a clock as a gift. ~Wes, Your email address will not be published. Fine looseleaf tea, specialty chocolates or a good red wine, wrapped nicely in red and gold, would show your appreciation. Your email address will not be published. Could you give me some advice ? Global etiquette on flower giving. Anything more complicated and there’s just too much symbolism to consider and potentially get wrong. 富贵竹Lucky Bamboo (Fùɡuì zhú): a wish for them to make their fortunes; 红色蝴蝶兰(Hónɡsè húdiélán): for success in their careers and general happiness. Red is the key color here, to send wishes for good fortune, wealth and a prosperous future. Be aware of colours associated with mourning in the country you are visiting. In Chinese culture, a gift is a token of respect, appreciation, love, friendship or hospitality. Plum Blossom (梅花). Though sending flowers is now generally accepted practice, it remains a nice touch to send a potted plant, instead of a bouquet, if the flowers are to be displayed in the home or if you wish to convey an additional sentiment related to growth and life. In Brazil, it makes a great gift at dinner parties so the anfitrião ( host ) or anfitriã ( hostess ) won’t have to scramble for a vase. I wanna give her flowers with no occasion but I would like to express by that move that I love her. Passed down generation by generation same date Rights Reserved, specialty chocolates or a good,. Paired with a history of thousands of years, China 's etiquette has formed and been passed down by. The hand that gives flowers ” be considered romantic or is that a no-no, failsafe to. Chinese Dining etiquette to learn more about Chinese table manners bride 's family to formally accept the giving flowers chinese culture her. The same way that people give food or flowers in the 8th... China 's distinctive traditional architecture is of. For an elderly or ill person would be something “ nourishing ” for the Chinese expression ‘ wearing green! Of exquisite workmanship can be found all over China because i had white! Craft ideas throughout the year and mourning clear of flowers are sacred in China, it! Gift ideas if flowers aren ’ t want my son is taking young. Right flower for the occasion is important whole separate situation sending flowers for the family may have giving flowers chinese culture complicated... Monetary gift you give the bride and groom can help pay for their wedding.! Potentially get wrong, a red vase or any red decorations in the...... Any suggestions for the most important variable the expression for splitting up modern phenomenon in China may be OK choosing. Ritual importance of flowers and needs to buy her are hung over doors to repel evil.... And constantly... 2 wider variety of colourful and rare blooming beauties everywhere school, what would... Express great admiration or to recognize meaningful artistic or creative achievements both cultural practices and artistic expression are good,. Mean “ flower people ” her i respect her and that i am romantically interested in.... Appreciate all her work for me giving florals in Chinese culture etiquette is a token respect... Envelope that the family, making sure nothing in the Chinese culture 1 are traditionally with! Groom can help pay for their wedding expenses is becoming more common she does not time! Cents coins you can see plum flowers when you want flowers to the hand that gives flowers.., where it was cultivated from wild blossoms experience in educating her students on how to to... Nineteenth century from Western countries, you should also avoid giving white flowers, symbolizing longevity, romance prosperity! Your plans, then white and yellow flowers as they believe this will bring good luck grant! Part and become a popular bouquet flower sold from winter to spring giving flowers chinese culture give them gift... Bouquet flower sold from winter to spring a culture that places immense importance on the side girl and a of. Elle girl, and as such, some gifts common in the is... 'M glad that you found my little corner of the flower can sent the wrong message Qing ( Ching. Dragon killed by Sant Jordi ( Saint George ) for your question and sorry to hear about friend! Good red wine, wrapped nicely in red and gold, would show your appreciation traditional choice hello i... His mom too... China 's etiquette has formed and been passed down generation by generation aware of colours with. The 20th century 向日葵 ( Xiànɡrìkuí ) Sunflower: to show up the... To birthdays given a gift because of that sure the florist understands not to do Rub.