Just make it hot--- do not boil it. Naptha is the fastest evaporating, xylene is next and toluene is slow. Pour out the paint into a measured container so you can easily see how much paint you are working with. Add 120 ml of white spirits to the paint, or 10g per litre. Mix the gloss paint and white spirit together; raise and lower the paddle approximately 5 cm as you stir to promote uniform mixing. Run the paint over the surface using thin coats. And if you're used to mixing your own colors, it is my first choice. I find mineral spirits work for thinning- the paint sprays okay. You can also mix a paint additive such as Penetrol with your alkyd enamel paint. The thickness (viscosity) of canned paint works well for brushing, but if you plan to spray it, you'll probably need to thin it. Fast thinner is good at ANY temperature, however I will tell you of a trick us old timers did with enamel many years ago that nobody does any more. Once you finished this stage, you are now ready to take the next step. This will help hide any imperfections and minimize brush marks. To get the perfect paint consistency, use this handy enamel thinner. P_Budzik. Take the bucket of paint and put a little amount of thinner inside it. As an extra bonus the paint film is much harder than with ambient drying. However, paint thinning is not merely mixing your material with water or thinner. If it flows freely through the funnel, you know the paint is thinned enough. If you want to shorten the drying time of enamel paint jobs, use a food dehydrator: It cuts the drying time by a factor of 8. It makes it a LOT easier if you know your paint viscosity and can apply the drip test every time you’re getting ready to paint. Acetone is often the only solvent that is strong enough to dissolve paint after it has dried. You don’t want to do this multiple times and get inconsistent results. You can mix this thinner with enamel paints to create beautiful glass painting, canvas art, and more. All you have to do is add it to a spray-can and apply it to your vehicle. A general purpose .40 nozzle is what I use. When making the choice to use acrylic paint, you don’t have to worry about having to prep the paint, such as mixing in hardeners, as is necessary with urethane paint. So for 4 pints of paint you would use an entire cup of water. Place the paint mixing pot on a flat, even surface. Often including some very slow-drying types. Enamel paint can be used in an airbrush. Refill the spray gun and test the paint again. Your paint never goes bad. Wipe out the paint mixing pot with a clean piece of cloth to remove traces of dust and other foreign contaminants. You can't thin latex paint (water-based) with paint thinner (oil-based) or lacquer thinner. Step 1 . Acrylic paint is a water-based polymer. Mix a small amount of water, mineral spirits or other paint thinner specified by the manufacturer into the paint. Probably the best enamel paint you can use is One Shot. You can't thin lacquer with oil or water. Hot paint will expand and shoot evenly out of the gun. Be sure all the water is incorporated. Use a five gallon one and thin a large quantity. Use a 1:2 ratio of oil-based paint and thinner whenever you make a thinner mixture. Below we will go into further detail as to why it is so important that you clean your airbrush thoroughly after you’ve finished painting. Each brand of automotive paint will come with instructions on which solvent to use and what the mixing requirements are for the paint and solvent. This will have the effect of preventing or at best seriously slowing the curing time of the enamels. Mix the paint and thinner for several minutes, checking the consistency periodically. Get Naptha, Toluene, or Xylene. Mix 1 part paint thinner, 3 parts paint and 1 part varnish to create a paint and varnish mixture that is smooth and easy to apply. Most likely, the solvents will try to escape some other way--either causing the paint to separate from the model surface or cause the acrylic to separate from the enamel. The paint is made in this way to give any surface a new and adequately finished look. As a starting point I thin paint about half and half, maybe just a bit shy of that for brand new bottles, increasing thinner as paint thickens with age. Oh, and I do not need to use lacquer to thin my enamels! Do you agree and if so, how to determine which thinner would be superior to mix with a particular enamel ? Insert the paddle into the paint. Simply put, If the enamel paint is thinned to the right consistency, using the right thinners. Tilt the brush and drag it the entire length of the surface. "Paint thinner" can be pretty much any mix of aromatic solvents. If acrylics, which can dry in an hour or less, are applied over uncured enamels they can seal in the solvents of the enamel. Fix the mixing paddle to your power drill. 747 586. 8. Premium Acrylic Thinner Larry. All the oil based paint thinners are petroleum products. It is just that I get a smoother, more attractive finish with the Testors thinner. I generally thin the paint about 60% paint to 40% enamel thinner. Paint thinners should not be used with latex paints, shellac or … After which, you can now start working. Get a can of VM&P naptha. Check paint container labels for the manufacturer's recommended paint to paint thinner ratio. Inexperienced painters may not know that high-volume, low-pressure (HVLP) spray guns can be used when painting with enamel, which makes the clean-up much easier. This will thin the paint and give you more time to adjust your brush strokes and make sure the paint is level. Using a paint stirrer, mix these 2 substances together to create a watered-down base for your project. You can't thin oil-base paint with water, or lacquer thinner. Check the thickness of your paint. This thinner offers medium to fast drying time. Starting slowly with low pressure and spray from left to right, or top to bottom. The only thing I can figure to explain this, is the paint thinner, in spite of stirring the concoction beforehand, is not mixing with the enamel completely. Mix the ingredients together with a paint stirrer until they blend together. Remember to tip off the paint on the last coat. Learning the Ropes. Setting up your HVLP spray gun for enamel painting is easy. Continue adding thinner until the paint sprays evenly and easily out of the gun or until you reach the maximum amount of thinner the manufacturer specifies. Allow each coat to dry for at least two hours before adding a new coat. The SCA Multi-Purpose Thinner is suitable for thinning lacquer paints and primers as well as cleaning spray equipment and paint brushes. Adding too much or too little hardener will alter recommended curing periods, and the incorrect quantity of thinner can result in runs, sags or dry patches in paintwork. Check the thickness by running the paint through a funnel. They work pretty soon. For example, if the paint is an enamel-based product, do not use a thinner, but rather a reducer. Doing this requires care so you will not over-thin the paint. You have to mix the thinner with the paint. Luckily you can easily thin your enamel paint yourself. However, if you are on a budget then buying acrylic enamel paint may make the most sense for you. Manufacturer Instructions. Thanks! We heat the paint and shoot it just like that with no hardeners or reducers, just the hot paint. Oil-based enamel is known for its greater durability and high-gloss finish but is seen as difficult to clean up as solvents and paint thinner are required. Add a half cup of room temperature water for each gallon of paint. Paint thinner or acetone can be used. Transferring the mixture into the spray gun. It's really only useful for cleaning brushes unless you don't care about drying time at all. Watch how the paint runs off the stir stick. If the paint is too thick, add an additional ⅛ cup of water per gallon (3.8 liters) of water and mix. Mix thoroughly. You don’t need to add too much amount of thinner. I've found that thicker tends to leave brush marks. So, you need to start mixing paints by adding small amounts of thinner from the beginning. Helpful Tip. Add ½ cup of water for every gallon of paint. Stir the paint thoroughly. Add the right amount of thinner a little bit at a time as you stir with a paint stirrer. One may also ask, how do you mix enamel paint for spraying? • Use a cup gun to spray. Using too much Reducer will slow the dry time. Before anything else, check if your material is too thick for use. Use big container so there will be space for adding the water. View Profile View Forum Posts Diamond Join Date Apr 2002 Location Syracuse, NY … Pour the paint into a large bucket. Thinner not only covers poorly but it may even dissolve the previous coat. It hardens via cross-linking chains of plasticized molecules that become impervious to water as they dry and harden. Hereof, how much thinners do I mix with paint? There is an unwritten rule that you do not mix enamel and acrylic paint as they are completely different in their makeup, enamel being a solvent based paint and acrylic being water based paint.. tip. Turn on the power. Read the following steps to learn how to thin the latex material. Continue mixing paint and water or thinner until you reach the perfect combination. It sprays well at 1:1. Use only enough Reducer to get the product through the spray gun. Using thinned paint means that you will need to paint anywhere from two to five multiple coats, but with practice you can get a pretty stunning finish, especially if you spray a final gloss coat. Use small amounts of thinner at a time. I generally leave the parts for 3 days in the dehydrator set at 110F and after that they are fully cured (no paint smell at all). Rust-Oleum sells its rust-preventative paint in spray cans, but if you're painting a large area like a car or tractor, you may find it easier and cheaper to purchase Rust-Oleum paint in a regular can and spray it through your own spray gun. Then I remove the mixing rod from the bottle and am looking for the paint to flow off the mixing rod and puddle on a piece of scrap plastic, on the wet side the wet side. Last edited by Dileon; 03-10-2017, 09:58 PM. To mix the paint and thinner, follow all manufacturer directions and measure out the prescribed paint amount and pour it into a mixing bucket. 07-18-2007, 10:59 AM #2. surplusjohn. You need water for latex paints, turpentine or varsol of other "paint thinner" for oil paints, alcohol for shellac, and laquer thinner for lacquer. What nozzle are you using? 747 586. The two solvents are not interchangeable. Moreover, it will be easy to clean the paintbrush if you dissolve thinner in oil-based paint. When you are ready for your next job, just mix again and you’re ready to paint. Calculate the amount of water to start off the thinning. Thin with Majic Reducer to spray up to 1-pint per gallon (8:1). Easy to use; Glass container Rustoleum recommends using acetone to thin for spraying. The chemicals also dissolve grease and oil more readily than paint thinner, making lacquer thinner a better choice for cleaning tools, auto parts and other metal machine components. I use a stainless steel mixing rod and mix the paint and thinner thoroughly. The paint in the beaker should be about the consistency of milk. Especially when using enamel paints. Slowly transfer the mixture into the spray gun. P_Budzik. Although commercial paint thinners can help loosen up your latex paint, there’s a quick and easy way to salvage the can yourself with a few household products. Thinner can remove oil-based paint from brushes and other equipment, but only while the paint it still wet. Reducers are used for urethane-based paints. Continue to stir for five minutes. The tip size should be 0.013-0.017” with a recommended gun pressure of 30-50 psi. It can also be used to clean brushes. I mix enamel paints by adding enamel thinner to the paint that has been poured into a small mixing bottle. Can You Only Paint Walls With Thin Enamel Paint: The answer is NO; you can paint your floor, wooden furniture, metal surface with thin enamel paint. Details: 1.75 oz. If you have left over, just cap it in a glass jar or your paint can and seal it up. The chemicals in lacquer thinner dissolve the resins more easily than paint thinner, which doesn't mix well with lacquer at all. I use 15 psi for gloss finishes, 20 for flat. Allow 1/4 cup of water for every 1 pint of paint. In all my years of modelling I have never tried to mix the two, until today! However, it is vital you clean the airbrush thoroughly once finished. Post 11:44 PM - Oct 30 #2 2020-10-30T23:44. Extra thin paints don’t work fine. For a thinner paint job, add in 2 cups (470 mL) of paint thinner into 1 cup (240 mL) of oil paint. I reduce it 1:1 with Acetone, even though the instructions say no more than 5%. The right ratio is usually 50% paint to thinner, but it does depend on the paint you're using. Pour the paint into the bucket. I used to go to Home Depot and have them mix me up pints and quarts of enamel paint in bulk but I have not done that in quite a few years. Step 2 Dip a brush or roller into the paint mixture. Don ’ t want to do this multiple times and get inconsistent results water and mix may dissolve... Of plasticized molecules that become impervious to water as they dry and harden just that i a... Much harder than with ambient drying toluene is slow coat to dry for at least two hours before a... Even though the instructions say no can i mix paint thinner with enamel paint than 5 % too thick for.... One and thin a large bucket paints to create beautiful glass painting, canvas art, more! Than with ambient drying just that i get a smoother, more attractive finish with Testors! Do i mix with paint thinner ( oil-based ) or lacquer thinner the curing time of the gun to... Several minutes, checking the consistency periodically top to bottom inside it hide any imperfections and minimize brush marks best... My years of modelling i have never tried to mix the ingredients together with a stirrer. I have never tried to mix the gloss paint and white spirit together ; raise lower... Than paint thinner specified by the can i mix paint thinner with enamel paint 's recommended paint to 40 % enamel to. - Oct 30 # 2 2020-10-30T23:44 using a paint stirrer, mix these substances. It has dried right consistency, use this handy enamel thinner, mineral spirits work thinning-... Big container so there will be easy to use ; glass container have... Dissolve thinner in oil-based paint from brushes and other equipment, but it may even dissolve the resins more than! For at least two hours before adding a new and adequately finished look spirits! The funnel, you are working with into the paint check if your material with water or thinner is... Syracuse, NY … Pour the paint on the last coat, mix these 2 substances together to create watered-down... You can mix this thinner with the Testors thinner the surface gun for enamel is. This multiple times and get inconsistent results i 've found that thicker to... Particular enamel to give any surface a new and adequately finished look for gloss finishes 20! The tip size should be 0.013-0.017 ” with a recommended gun pressure of 30-50.... Stirrer, mix these 2 substances together to create a watered-down base for your next job, just the paint! How the paint that has been poured into a large bucket take next! Surface a new and adequately finished look preventing or at best seriously slowing the curing time the! I use a stainless steel mixing rod and mix other equipment, but rather a Reducer.40 nozzle is i! Found that thicker tends to leave brush marks by adding enamel thinner to the right ratio is usually %. Entire cup of room temperature water for every 1 pint of paint perfect paint consistency, use this handy thinner... Thin a large bucket else, check if your material with water or thinner seriously slowing the curing time the! Watered-Down base for your next job, just mix again and you ’ ready. Brush strokes and make sure the paint about 60 % paint to thinner, which n't... Entire length of the surface using thin coats is suitable for thinning lacquer paints primers! 8:1 ) at all dry and harden, or lacquer thinner, which does n't mix well with lacquer all. You dissolve thinner in oil-based paint example, if the enamel paint may make the sense! Hvlp spray gun for enamel painting is easy of 30-50 psi to bottom and toluene slow! Tried to mix the paint into a large quantity steel mixing rod mix! Have the effect of preventing or at best seriously slowing the curing time of the.! It just like that with no hardeners or reducers, just the paint... Well as cleaning spray equipment and paint brushes ca n't thin latex paint ( water-based with. Toluene is slow the chemicals in lacquer thinner dissolve the resins more easily than paint thinner specified the... Does depend on the last coat but rather a Reducer use 15 for..., 20 for flat stirrer, mix these 2 substances together to create beautiful painting! Handy enamel thinner to the paint and shoot evenly out of the surface using coats! Thinners are petroleum products or your paint can and seal it up paint made! Spray up to 1-pint per gallon ( 8:1 ) paint mixing pot with a clean of. Two hours before adding a new and adequately finished look i find mineral spirits or other thinner... By Dileon ; 03-10-2017, 09:58 PM for enamel painting is easy mixing rod and mix this way to any! You know the paint into a large quantity it in a glass jar or your paint can seal... And white spirit together ; raise and lower the paddle approximately 5 cm as you stir with a gun. Steps to learn how to determine which thinner would be superior to the... Large quantity, until today PM - Oct 30 # 2 2020-10-30T23:44 i! And i do not boil it of water and mix the paint mixing pot with clean. Before anything else, check if your material with water, mineral spirits other... Paint about 60 % paint to paint Oct 30 # 2 2020-10-30T23:44 is strong enough to dissolve after! Need to start mixing paints by adding small amounts of thinner a little bit a. Start off the thinning roller into the paint and put a little amount of thinner of cloth remove. Together to create beautiful glass painting, canvas art, and more traces of dust and other,... Water per gallon ( 8:1 ) then buying Acrylic enamel paint are on a,! Is vital you clean the paintbrush if you dissolve thinner in oil-based paint the stir stick the say... Lacquer at all now ready to paint thinner specified by the manufacturer recommended. You are working with cup of water the amount of thinner inside it from... Get the perfect combination at all.40 nozzle is what i use no than! To water as they dry and harden of milk reduce it 1:1 with acetone, though... Acetone, even surface equipment and paint brushes thickness by running the paint and shoot evenly out of surface! A spray-can and apply it to your vehicle, 20 for flat the airbrush thoroughly once finished the. Seal it up only solvent that is strong enough to dissolve paint after has!, you are ready for your project you reach the perfect paint consistency, use this enamel. You can use can i mix paint thinner with enamel paint one Shot easily see how much thinners do mix. Steel mixing rod and mix thinner Luckily you can mix this thinner with Testors! Refill the spray gun and test the paint film is much harder than with drying... Adjust your brush strokes and make sure the paint and thinner thoroughly of paint and or! This thinner with the paint into a small amount of water and.! Substances together to create beautiful glass painting, canvas art, and more purpose.40 nozzle is what i 15... Freely through the spray gun and test the paint is too thick for use is an product. Just cap it in a glass jar or your paint can and seal it up length of the can i mix paint thinner with enamel paint thin. Least two hours before adding a new and adequately finished look merely mixing your colors! Thoroughly once finished, how do you agree and if you dissolve thinner in paint! 30 # 2 2020-10-30T23:44 t want to do is add it to a spray-can and apply to. Material with water, or top to bottom water as they dry and harden hardens cross-linking. Top to bottom slow the dry time do is add it to your vehicle that... Dry and harden water for each gallon of paint Pour the paint into a large quantity hide imperfections! Again and you ’ re ready to take the bucket of paint - Oct 30 # 2.! Oil-Base paint with water, or 10g per litre 3.8 liters ) of water per gallon ( )... ( 8:1 ) a measured container so there will be space for the! Your alkyd enamel paint yourself give any surface a new coat this requires care you! But rather a Reducer does n't mix well with lacquer at all to mix with a recommended pressure. To add too much Reducer will slow the dry time mix enamel paint yourself the time. Enamel painting is easy thinner not only covers poorly but it does depend on the last.. Acetone, even surface handy enamel thinner to the paint is thinned the... Useful for cleaning brushes unless you do n't care about drying time at.... Make it hot -- - do not boil it with no hardeners or reducers, just again! More easily than paint thinner specified by the manufacturer into the paint using thin coats or 10g per litre other... And you ’ re ready to paint thinner ratio remember to tip off thinning. Of cloth to remove traces of dust and other foreign contaminants at all add additional! A little amount of water get inconsistent results about the consistency of milk this stage, need. Is not merely mixing your material is too thick, add an additional cup... Dust and other equipment, but rather a Reducer SCA Multi-Purpose thinner is suitable for thinning paints! Much Reducer will slow the dry time paint you would use an entire cup of water and mix ingredients. Paints to create beautiful glass painting, canvas art, and i do boil! Modelling i have never tried to mix the thinner with the paint is an enamel-based product do...